Friday, August 29, 2014

Hurray for Trish Burr




This piece above is one of the Trish Burr patterns I stitched before taking her online class. I was particularly pleased with the way this one turned out as it was a gift for my parents.   It is called French Rose and demonstrates her red palette of colours in her book 'Colour Confidence in Embroidery'  Although I see the piece when I go home to England for a visit, this picture is all I really have to remember it.  I often think I would like to do a second one for myself.

Colour Confidence in Embroidery
Trish is an absolute master at putting colours together to develop a sense of realism. If I remember correctly she has an artists background, and it certainly shows in her work.  One of the things I love is that she freely admits that her techniques have changed over the years as she continues to learn her craft, and that you may see different instructions in her books.  As an embroiderer there are many techniques I enjoy, but part of the fun is continuously learning new and different methods, and improving on what I have already learned.  My previous post showed my first attempt at designing a thread painting, but I still have a long way to go to reach her standards.


This particular book should be an absolute must-have for any painter or embroiderer.  It has fabulous examples of colour palettes, detailed embroidery stitch instructions and full instructions for 13 embroidery designs.  The last design in the book is called the Sacred Kingfisher and I am trying to work up the courage to try it.  It is a work of art.

She has also written 'Long and Short Stitch Embroidery: A collection of Flowers'; 'Redoute's Finest Flowers in Embroidery'; Needle Painting embroidery: fresh ideas for beginners' and Crewel & Surface Embroidery; Inspirational floral designs'.  If you haven't seen any of her books yet, find them.  They are all worth a long look.

Addendum:
I was asked if the picture above is the one from the book?  No, it is my finished work, but thank you for the compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment